In the era of 2G/3G/4G, mobile communication is mainly carried out in the form of voice and data services. With the advent of 5G, the advantages in transmission speed and delay have been greatly improved, which makes 5G be able to expand in more areas, such as VR/AR, automatic driving, intelligent manufacturing, smart home, Internet of Things and many other fields. In the laying of 5G, the demand for optical fiber cable will also grow rapidly, and the advantages of MPO/MTP optical cable have begun to attract more attention. In this paper, the advantages of MPO/MTP cable in 5G data center are discussed.
The seven advantages of applying MPO/MTP cable in data center are as follows:
1. Protecting the effectiveness and safety of investment. Although MPO/MTP cable has higher requirements on the integrator’s early and actual field investigation ability, it can also fully protect the investor’s right to control the project and to know about the use of products, and avoid the risk of material waste and project investment.
2. Economically applicable. Generally speaking, MPO/MTP prefabricated mode does not increase additional cost.
3. Easy to operate, easy to install, save installation time, plug and play. We can make a simple comparison, for example, laying a 288-core cable, three constructors, two sets of equipment, using the traditional fused-fibre method, laying takes about 2 hours, the fused-fibre plus installation time takes about 8 hours, a total of about 10 hours. If using MPO/MTP prefabricated end optical cable, laying time is still 2 hours, but installation time is greatly reduced. It only takes about 45 minutes, which undoubtedly has a huge advantage in time cost.
4. MPO/MTP prefabricated end optical cables are fully tested in the factory, and no other products are added to the installation process, so the field test operation is simple.
5. Optical fiber links are fully protected. No fusion points and bare optical fibers are exposed to the air. There will be no aging, joint fracture and other problems.
6. Maintenance is convenient and safe. The mechanical performance of MPO/MTP prefabricated end fiber optic branching device is excellent. Maintenance or operation process will not affect the normal use of fiber optics.
7. It can be reinstalled and moved. The branch of MPO/MTP prefabricated end optical cable can be quickly inserted and moved, and reinstalled as needed.
Compared with ordinary optical cables, the main characteristics of MPO/MTP optical cables are high density and prefabricated end, and ultimately embodied in the MPO/MTP multi-core joint. Throughout the development of the industry, there are two distinct stages of development of optical fiber connectors: the first stage is to save space and to develop towards miniaturization. The development of optical fiber connectors from traditional FC, ST, SC to LC, MTRJ. In the second stage, not only to save space, but also to meet the requirements of multi-core use, optical fiber connectors evolve from LC, MTRJ to MU, MPO/MTP.
With the gradual approaching of 5G, the rapid development of data center interconnection, optical fiber sensing and new generation optical fiber technology, super-large capacity, super-high speed, super-long distance optical transmission network will become a necessary condition for the construction of 5G data center. MPO/MTP optical cable has dual advantages in technology and cost, and it is very likely to become the mainstream way for future operators to build 5G data center.